Friday, February 3

First GP visit

"As you can see, i'm on the larger side of the scale. I smoke a whole lot, since I was 14. That was the era when it was cool. Drinking? I didn't touch alcohol till I was 21, but i've been drinking ever since. I'm scottish!"

High-blood pressure, breathlessness, genetics, obesity, smoker. I see where this is going medically. Classic signs of congestive heart failure.

"I'm depressed. I can't sleep properly. All i do is send my grand-kids to school in the morning, and that's all for my day. I love my son, yet sometimes i wish he was dead. You see, he was a crack addict. That's why his girlfriend threw him out of the house. And I worry for my grand-kids all day, because she isn't exactly treating them very well. My son is off the crack now, and we provided him a roof to live under, on the contract that he stays clean. But some days, his pupils are just like pins, and he doesn't seem normal. I'm worried that he might be back onto something.

Everything just got worse when my mom passed away. She wasn't exactly the sweetest person, known to be a sharp tongue. Dr. Will certain would agree with me. I don't even leave the house anymore. I don't even want to meet people. I wouldn't even be here talking to you students, if not for my husband.

I've thought about suicide a couple of times. Thought that maybe if I did so, there would be none left to worry, nobody to burden. I did cut myself. Interestingly enough, physical pain brought relief."

"Would you like to leave these budding doctors with a word of advice?"

"Treat patients as you wish to be treated."

No comments:

Post a Comment