Saturday, March 10

Reflection Essay

So... We are made to do a reflection essay every once in a while. Just thought i share what i had written / typed. It felt more like a story though:

My first ward experience



I was fortunate to have a regent who was willing to have me shadow him on his ward rounds, even though it was only our first visit. At that point of time, I have yet to have the official ward opportunity, so that was my first contact with real patients. As I trailed behind my consultant, it was a mixture of both excitement and uncertainty. This was the reason why I came to medical school, and it was starting that very moment. Yet I was feeling inadequate as a 1st year medical student, who had barely any clinical knowledge.

“Follow me, and do as I do,” the first advice the cardiothoracic surgeon gave me before he proceeded to apply the alcohol hand sanitiser. I jumped onto it instantly, proud and relief that I knew how to perform the first task. Hand-washing never felt that good before. By then, we were gathered before an elderly man, propped up comfortably on the bedside chair. My consultant began the conversation with an update on the patient’s upcoming surgery. Soon, I got lost in the many new jargons that were used. Keeping a straight-face, I attempted to keep up with the case summary of the elderly man. It was all panic from within. I constantly hoped that my regent would not throw a question at me and stun me. And thankfully, he did not.

My regent started with the auscultation of the heart, and had me follow-suit. I inched towards the patient, trying to look confident; in hope that it would compensate my incompetency. A smile, my first greeting, all seems well as the patient gave me consent to have me examine him. Still confused as to what the patient’s condition was, I mimicked my regent’s actions. And the moment the stethoscope was pressed against the patient’s chest, my eyes lit up. It was the sound of saw against wood, preceding the ‘lub’ heart sound. Containing my excitement, I calmly described what I had heard. Thereafter, my regent taught me how to use a stethoscope, such as how to amplify the sound or how to hold the bell.

As we took our leave, my regent began explaining the details to the patient’s condition – Aetiology, pathophysiology, clinical features, management and treatment. Everything felt much easier to understand as I mentally pieced together the information with my personal encounter.

In retrospect, I had a very eventful first ward experience. The patient was very cooperative, and it did not seem to bother him that a medical student was examining him. In fact, as I listened to his heart a couple of times thereafter, his assuring smile conveyed a form of satisfaction; that he as a patient may also be a teacher. Being able to put into practice clinical skills was satisfying. I can only imagine that without them, I would have been much more ill-prepared and nervous. Furthermore, a very patient regent who was keen to teach made the whole experience a very fruitful and memorable one.

Presently, we are on the topic of Cardio-vascular system. And the moment ‘Aortic Valve Stenosis’ appears on the slides, the distinctive sound of blood flow turbulence preceding S1, ringed in my mind. Moreover, I picked up on skills on how to use the stethoscope effectively, and I had been practicing and imparting them on to my fellow colleagues. In addition, I have decided to bring a little notebook for documenting new information whenever I visited the wards; for experience is the best teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment